Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs
hese CBSE Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs are prepared by our Chemistry Expert. By practicing following MCQs, students will be able to quickly revise all the concepts of the CBSE 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs. Additionally, CBSE Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs will be helpful for JEE And NEET Aspirants.
Refer to our Chemistry class 12 MCQs for scoring Excellent Marks in your Exams.
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs (SET A)
1. Ethyl alcohol is industrially prepared from the ethylene by:
(A) Permanganate oxidation
(B) Catalytic reduction
(C) Absorbing in sulphuric acid followed by hydrolysis
Answer: Absorbing in sulphuric acid followed by hydrolysis.
2. Tert-butyl methyl ether on heating with anhydrous HI in ether gives
(A) CH3OH + (CH3)3CI
(B) CH3I + (CH3)3COH
(C) CH3I + (CH3)3Cl
(D) None of the above
Answer: CH3I + (CH3)3COH.
3. Most viscous among the following is:
(C) Propane-1, 2-diol
4. Carbolic acid is
5. In Williamson’s synthesis ethoxy ethane is prepared by
(A) Passing ethanol over heated alumina
(B) Heating sodium ethoxide with ethyl bromide
(C) Treating ethyl alcohol with excess of H2SO4 at 430-440 K
(D) Heating ethanol with dry Ag2O
Answer: Heating sodium ethoxide with ethyl bromide.
6. When CH3MgI is made to react with acetone and the addition product formed is hydrolysed, we get:
(A) A primary alcohol
(B) A secondary alcohol
(C) A tertiary alcohol
(D) An aldehyde
Answer: A tertiary alcohol.
7. Among the following, which is least acidic?
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs (SET B)
1. Lucas reagent is
(A) Conc. HCI and anhydrous ZnCI2
(B) Conc. HNO3and hydrous ZnCI2
(C) Conc. HCI and hydrous ZnCI2
(D) Conc. HNO3 and anhydrous ZnCI2
Answer: Conc. HCI and anhydrous ZnCI2.
2. An ether is more volatile than an alcohol having the same molecular formula. This is due to
(A) Dipolar character of ethers
(B) Alcohols having resonance structures
(C) Intermolecular hydrogen bonding in ethers
(D) Intermolecular hydrogen bonding in alcohols
Answer: Intermolecular hydrogen bonding in alcohols.
3. The compound CH3CH2CH2Br is converted into CH3CH2CH2OH by:
4. Which of the following is simple ether?
5. In Lucas test an alcohol reacts immediately and gives insoluble chloride. The alcohol is
6. Which one has highest boiling point?
7. The reaction of CH3OC2H5 with HI gives:
(A) CH3I only
(B) C2H5OH only
(C) CH3I + C2H5OH
(D) C2H5I + CH3OH
Answer: CH3I + C2H5OH.
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs (SET C)
1. Glycerol has:
(A) 3 primary alcoholic groups
(B) 3 secondary alcoholic groups
(C) 1 primary alcoholic group and 2 secondary alcoholic groups
(D) 2 primary alcoholic groups and 1 secondary alcoholic group
Answer: 2 primary alcoholic groups and 1 secondary alcoholic group.
2. Lucas test is associated with
(C) Carboxylic acids
3. Williamson’s synthesis is used for the preparation of
4. Wood spirit is:
(D) None of these
5. Propane, CH3—CH = CH2 can be converted into 1-propanol by oxidation. Which set of reagents among the following is ideal to effect the conversion?
(D) None of these
6. The action of halogen acids on an ether, has the following order of reactivity:
(A) HCl > 𝐻𝐵𝑟 > 𝐻𝐼
(B) HI > 𝐻𝐶𝑙 > 𝐻𝐵𝑟
(C) HI > 𝐻𝐵𝑟 > 𝐻𝐶𝑙
(D) HCl > 𝐻𝐼 > 𝐻𝐵𝑟
Answer: HI > 𝐻𝐵𝑟 > 𝐻𝐶𝑙.
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs (SET D)
1. Phenyl magnesium bromide reacts with methanol to give a mixture of:
(A) Anisole and Mg(OH)Br
(B) Benzene and Mg(OMe)Br
(C) Toluene and Mg(OH)Br
(D) Phenol and Mg(Me)Br
Answer: Benzene and Mg(OMe)Br.
2. In the reduction, 𝑅—CHO + H2⟶𝑅CH2OH. The catalyst used is:
(D) All of these
Answer: All of these.
3. Primary and secondary alcohols on action of reduced copper give:
(A) Aldehydes and ketones respectively
(B) Ketones and aldehydes respectively
(C) Only aldehydes
(D) Only ketones
Answer: Aldehydes and ketones respectively.
4. The IUPAC name of CH3OCH(CH3)2 is:
(A) 1-methoxy propane
(B) 3-methoxy propane
(D) 2-methoxy propane
Answer: 2-methoxy propane.
5. Reaction of tertiary butyl alcohol with hot Cu at 350℃ produces
6. Grignard reagent reacts with HCHO to produce
(A) Secondary alcohol
(D) Primary alcohol
Answer: Primary alcohol.
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs (SET E)
1. Salicylaldehyde is obtained when phenol is heated with CHCl3 and aqueous NaOH. This reaction is known by which name?
(A) Carbyl amine reaction
(B) Hofmann’s reaction
(C) Reimer-Tiemann reaction
(D) Kolbe-Schmidt reaction
Answer: Reimer-Tiemann reaction.
2. When phenol is treated with excess of bromine water, it gives
(B) o-and p-bromophenols
(C) 2, 4-dibromophenol
(D) 2, 4, 6-tribromophenol
Answer: 2, 4, 6-tribromophenol.
3. Picric acid is
(A) 2, 4, 6-tribromophenol
(D) 2, 4, 6-trinitrotoluene
4. The correct order of reactivity of hydrogen halides with ethyl alcohol is
(A) HF >HCl>HBr> HI
(B) HCl>HBr> HF > HI
(C) HBr>HCl> HI >HF
(D) HI >HBr>HCl> HF
Answer: HI >HBr>HCl> HF.
5. In the reaction involving C—OH bond, in alcohols the order of reactivity is:
(A) 1 ͦ>2 ͦ>3 ͦ
(B) 3 ͦ>2 ͦ>1 ͦ
(C) 2 ͦ>3 ͦ>1 ͦ
(D) None of these
Answer: 3 ͦ>2 ͦ>1 ͦ.
6. When phenyl magnesium bromide reacts with t-butanol, the product would be
(C) t-butyl benzene
(D) t-butyl phenyl ether
We hope you liked our Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs. If you have any queries regarding Class 12 Chemistry Chapter Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers MCQs , drop a comment below and we will reply to you at the earliest.
Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers Class 12 Notes Chemistry Chapter 11
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter 10 Haloalkanes and Haloarenes MCQs
Class 12 Chemistry Chapter 2 Solution MCQs