Physical features of India Class 9 Geography Extra Questions. Extra Questions of Class 9 Geography Chapter 2 are prepared by our Expert Teachers. Students can go through these Extra Questions of Physical features of India Chapter to check their preparation level.
Extra Questions of Physical features of India Chapter consists of:
1) Very Short Answer Type Extra Questions
2) Long Answer Type Extra Questions
Physical features of India Class 9 Geography Extra Questions
Physical features of India Class 9 Very Short Extra Questions
1) Gondwanaland is the southern part of which continent?
Answer: Super Continent Pangea.
Answer: Super Continent Pangea.
2) What is the width of Himalayas in the Jammu and Kashmir?
Answer: 400 Km.
3) Name the Northern most Range of Himalayas?
4) What is the shape of folds of Great Himalayas?
Answer: Asymmetrical in Nature.
5) Name the Longest range in lesser Himalaya.
Answer: Pir Panjal Range.
6) Which range is famous for its hill stations?
Answer: Himachal or Lesser Himalaya.
7) What is Purvanchal?
Answer: These hills are composed of strong sandstones and running through Northern-Eastern states.
8) What is the area of Northern Plains?
Answer: 7 lakh sq. Km.
9) What do you mean by Doab?
Answer: Doab means “Two” water.
10) In which river, largest inhabited riverine island is located?
Answer: Inhabited riverine island=Majuli, River Brahmaputra.
11) Name the Physical feature of India which provides sites for fishing.
Answer: The Coastal Plains.
12) In which region, Soil contains kanker nodules?
13) Which physical feature of India provides a fertile land for intensive Agriculture?
Answer: The Northern Plains.
14) Name the range which is located north to the Deccan Plateau?
Answer: Satpura Range.
15) Name the highest peak in the Western Ghats.
Answer: Anai Mudi (2,695 metres).
16) Which type of rocks does Deccan plateau consists of?
Answer: Igneous Rocks.
17) Name the two features of Aravali Range.
Answer: 1) Highly Eroded Hills.
2) They are found as Broken hills.
18) What are the earlier names of Lakshadweep Islands?
Answer: Minicoy, Amindive and Laccadive.
19) Name any three physical features of India.
Answer: The Himalayas, Northern Plains and Plateau.
20) Which physical feature of India played a crucial role in Industrialization?
Answer: The Plateau.
Class 9 Geography Chapter 2 Long Extra Questions and Answers
1) “The land of India displays great physical variations”.Justify the Statement.
“The Physical features of India are of immense value”.Justify the Statement.
Answer: i) The Himalayas or Northern Mountains are the major sources of water and forest wealth.
ii) The Northern Plains provide the base for early civilization and have fertile land for intensive Agriculture.
iii) The Plateau consists of various minerals,thus, played a crucial role in Industrialization.
iv) The Coastal Plains provide sites for fishing and port activities.
2) Describe the Formation of the Northern Plains?
Answer: i) The Himalayas uplift out of the Tethys Sea and the subsidence of the Northern part resulted in the formation of large Basin.
ii) In Hundreds of Years, This Northern part gradually got filled with deposition of sediments by the rivers flowing from northern mountains and Peninsular Plateau.
iii) A flat land with extensive alluvial deposits led to the formation of Northern Plains of India.
3) Mention any four features of Peninsular Plateau.
Answer: i) It is the Tableland composed of Igneous and Metamorphic rocks.
ii) It was formed due to the breaking and drifting of the Gondwana Land.
iii) It has broad,shallow and rounded Hills.
iv) The Plateau is of Volcanic Origin.
v) The Plateau consists of two divisions- Central Highlands and Deccan Plateau.
4) What are the features of Western Ghats?
Answer: i) They are located on the west coast of India.
ii) They are less wide and are unbroken.
iii) The Highest peak is Anai Mudi.
iv) They are the source of the rivers like Krishna, Godavari and Kaveri.
v) They are Continuous and can be crossed only through Passes.
5) Explain the formation of Himalayas.
Answer: i) India was a part of the Gondwanaland,crores of ago.The convection currents of the mantle fractured the Gondwanaland into a number of pieces.
ii) The Indo-Australian Plate gets separated from the Gondwanaland and afterwards slowly drifted towards the North.
iii) The Indo-Australian Plate got combined with much larger Eurasian plate.
iv) Under the impact of collision, the sedimentary rocks of the Tethys Sea were folded to form the Himalayas.
6) Name any three features of Central Highlands?
Answer: Features of Central Highlands:
1) The Vindhyan Range is bounded by the Central Highlands on the South and Aravalis on the northwest.
2) The Central Highlands are narrower in the East but wider in the West.
3) The Chota Nagpur Plateau marks the eastward extension , drained by the Damodar River.
7) Name any three features of Coastal Plains.
Answer: Features of Coastal Plains:
1) The Western coast, between the Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea is a Narrow Plain. It consists of three sections.
2) Northern part of coast = Konkan,Central part = Kannad, Southern part of this coast = Malabar.
4) The Lake Chilika is the largest salt water lake in India and an important feature along the eastern Coast.
8. Name any four features of Lakshadweep Islands.
Answer: Features of the Lakshadweep Islands:
1) The Lakshadweep Islands are group of islands and composed of small coral islands.
2) Earlier, Lakshadweep Islands were known as Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindive. In 1973, these were named as Lakshadweep islands.
3) Lakshadweep Islands- small Area of 32 Sq Km.
4) The Pitli Island is uninhabited and has a bird Sanctuary.
We hope that Physical features of India Class 9 Geography Extra Questions will help you for preparing class 9 exams.
Class 9 Links: